This recipe comes from my husband's grandmother. It is the only recipe we have of hers. The recipe is written as a "Cheese Cake" as opposed to cheesecake. It is very different from the cheesecakes I grew up with. Until I tried this cake, I had only had cheesecake made with cream cheese. This recipe uses pot cheese or farmer cheese. This cheese gives the cake a very different texture. My mother-in-law gave me a handwritten and illustrated cookbook of family recipes which I treasure. This recipe is included in the book. Because it is the only recipe we have from my husband's grandmother, I want to preserve it here as well.
This recipe is good, but after making it, I will likely make a few changes to suit our tastes. Mainly, I will cut down on the sugar next time, maybe to 1 cup. In addition, I think lemon zest from 1 lemon would be good in this. My husband's family always served it plain, but I think berries are a must. As shown, I topped it with a bit of blackberry compote and fresh berries.
Cheese Cake
This recipe is written as my mother-in-law wrote it. The italicized notations I made are to clarify and modify slightly.
Ingredients
6 eggs
2 cups sugar
little salt (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
1-1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 pounds pot cheese*
1 pint sour cream
Beat eggs, add sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Add cheese, sour cream, and vanilla. Pour into a buttered spring mold** and bake at about a 250ºF until done. Test by inserting a silver knife in the center of the cake. It will take about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours.***Turn off hear and let cake remain in oven for another hour. Remove and allow to cool. Baking time is tricky, you may have to bake it longer. The recipe does not state this, but, after cooling, it should be refrigerated for a few hours or overnight before serving.
*Pot cheese is difficult to find. Farmer cheese can be used instead. It should be put through a foley mill. (If you don't have a foley mill, I would think putting it in a food processor would work. The cheese can be used as is, but the cake would have more texture to it).
**I lined the pan with parchment.
***This cake took over 4 hours to bake before I turned the oven off for the additional hour. It took this long for the cake to set. After doing a little research, apparently this is okay. Cooking a cheesecake low and slow can prevent cracking. It didn't have any cracks!
This is the note my mother-in-law wrote at the bottom of the recipe:
"This is a heavy old fashioned cheese cake but good"
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment