Saturday, June 30, 2018

What Was My Mom Thinking?!! {Recipe: Iron Horse Ribs}


Google "'Teen Magazine from the 1970s" and you'll come across some pretty cringe worthy stuff. I had a subscription throughout my teens during the '70s and know I am wondering what was my mom thinking?! But there was a cooking section in the magazine and that is where this recipe for Iron Horse Ribs comes from. My mom knew what she was doing if getting a subscription meant getting meals like this. Reading the rest of the magazine doesn't seem to have had any lasting effects, thank goodness!

Iron Horse Ribs

This recipe is updated from the original. The main changes are the barbecue sauce (Kraft Barbecue Sauce with Onion Bits) and tomato sauce with tomato bits; I could not find either. 

8-10 pounds country-style ribs
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 large onion, sliced
1 18-oz bottle mild barbecue sauce
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Dash of cayenne pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Arrange ribs in a large roasting pan (I line the pan well with foil, the baked on sauce is very hard to remove). Pour lemon juice over meat; add onion. Bake for one hour, turning once.* Drain off one cup liquid, discard (The ribs I used did not have much liquid come off them, so I skipped this step). Combine remaining ingredients; pour over ribs. Continue baking for one hour. Serve with sauce, if desired. 

Makes 16 servings.

*Note: The ribs can cook longer, just keep an eye on them. The ribs pictured cooked were cooked for about 3 hours total time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF