Monday, June 27, 2016

We're so Fancy... {Recipe: Croque-Monsieur}



A good croque-monsieur is one of my favorite sandwiches. It is not very hard to make either. A croque-monsieur is basically a fancy ham and cheese sandwich.

Two years ago my family and I went on a Europe trip including England, Belgium, Amsterdam, and France. One of the best parts of the trip was trying all of different foods. One thing I had there was a croque-monsieur, once I had tried it I wanted to learn how to make it. 

One thing that made it hard to find a day to make them is my brother doesn't like cheese or creamy stuff. But, a few weeks ago my brother was at a friend's party, so he wasn't home for dinner, and I made croque-monsieur. I didn't use a specific recipe. I looked up several recipes and read about what makes a good croqué monsieur, then came up with my own.

Croque-Monsieur

Ingredients:

8 - roughly 1/2 inch thick slices of country bread
(not sourdough or whole wheat)
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/3 cups milk
Sea salt
Freshly grated nutmeg 
Black pepper
Dijon mustard
8 thin slices of ham
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Preheat oven to 400°F 

Lay out 8 pieces of bread on baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, or until toasted

Over medium heat melt 2 Tbsp butter in a small sauce pan. Add 2 Tbsp flour whisk for 1 minute, then add milk, stirring constantly. Let boil until thick. When thickened, remove from heat, and season to taste with salt, nutmeg, and pepper.

Spread a thin layer of mustard on the softer side of the bread, then put two slices of ham on top of the mustard. Add about a tablespoon of cheese inside the sandwich and close it up making sure the softer side of the bread is on the inside of the sandwich. Repeat for the rest of the sandwiches. Top the sandwiches with the béchamel sauce, and divide it evenly. On top of the sauce, divide the cheese evenly. 

Bake for 5 minutes, then broil 3 to 5 minute or until the cheese is bubbly and brown.

Serve hot.  

Pairing this with a green salad with a French vinaigrette makes a yummy dinner!

Bon appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF