Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Resistance is Futile {Recipe: Salted Peanut Chews)


I discovered these cookie bars when I was a teenager and I have only made them a few times since. In fact, I don't think I have made them since I've been married until this year when I made them for my teenage son and his friends. The reason I don't make them: I can't stay away from them! Just about every other cookie I can resist if I have to, but these I cannot.

To be fair, another reason I don't make them often is because of the cake mix. I try not to use cake mixes, ever. There are recipes for these that don't use cake mix, I find they don't taste quite the same. So once every few years can't hurt, can it?

Salted Peanut Chews

I believe this recipe comes from a Pillsbury Bake-Off pamphlet, but I am not sure. I wrote it in the back of my Betty Crocker Cookbook years ago. 

Base:
1 package yellow cake mix
1/3 cup butter
1 egg
2 cups miniature marshmallows

Topping:
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla 
10 ounce bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Chips
2 cups crisp rice cereal
2 cups salted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine all the base ingredients, except marshmallows, using a mixer on low speed until crumbly. (Note: some mixes get more crumbly than others. So far every cake mix I have used works fine, even if dough doesn't get crumbly.) Press the base mixture, without the marshmallows, into the bottom of a ungreased 13x9"pan. Bake at 350°F for 12-18 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with marshmallows. Return to oven for 1-2 minutes or until marshmallows just begin to puff. Cool while preparing topping. In a large saucepan, heat corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and peanut butter chips, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in cereal and peanuts. Immediately spoon warm topping over marshmallows; spread to cover. Chill; cut into bars. 

Makes 36 bars

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF