Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Popularity Isn't Everything {Recipe: Baked Macaroni and Cheese}



Kraft boxed mac and cheese was all the rage when I was a kid, in fact I believe their ads claimed to be America's #1 packaged dinner, but my mother refused to buy it. I think I may have talked her into it once. She probably had a coupon. Mainly, if I had it at all,  it would be at a friends' houses. The only macaroni and cheese we ever had was made from scratch. While I liked the homemade macaroni and cheese, I thought the boxed stuff was way better. Of course my mom was right, the homemade was the better of the two and I will not touch the Kraft stuff now. 

The other thing my mother would never buy, which every other household seemed to have, is American cheese. That I could go along with. We only had Tillamook cheddar in our house (again, it's an Oregon thing). It about gagged me if I went to a friend's house and I was served American cheese. I still can remember struggling to swallow grilled cheese sandwiches made out of American cheese in an effort to be polite. 



Baked macaroni and cheese is one of the first dishes I learned to make on my own. I was around 10 years old when I learned to make it. The recipe I used came from my mother's old Better Homes and Garden Cook Book. I have no idea the edition, the cover wore off and the page with the copyright was missing before I ever used it. It was always held together with a large rubber band. I am not sure how much longer the cook book will survive, so I thought I better make another record of the recipe. It is not fancy like all of the mac and cheese recipes I see lately, but it is a good basic recipe. 

It wasn't until recently that I thought that my daughter should make this recipe. She is a little more experienced cook than I was at 10, so she had no problems making it. Although she did point out how vague the instructions are, so I will break it down a bit more. 

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Adapted from Better Hones & gardens Cook Book, edition unknown. 

1 8-ounce package macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
1-3 tablespoons flour, depending on how thick of white sauce you want
2 cups milk 
Salt and pepper, to taste (I use about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon fine ground pepper.)
1/2 pound grated cheddar cheese*
1 cup dry bread crumbs, optional (I have never used.)

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish.
2. Cook macaroni until al dente according to package directions; drain and rinse. Pour into the prepared baking dish; set aside. 
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour. Cook for a minute or two, then whisk in the milk slowly to help prevent lumps, Continue to cook the white sauce until it starts to thicken, then add 2/3 of the cheese. Stir until all the cheese is melted. 
4. Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni in the baking dish and give it a good stir. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and crumbs, if using, over the top. 
5. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and starts to brown. 

*Original recipe calls for American cheese. 

Serves 6

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. My Mom made Mac n cheese from scratch growing up, and didn't eat Kraft until I moved out. Back then I could buy 10 boxes for $1. And if times were really tight, I'd use half water/half milk!

    My niece makes homemade Mac and cheese about twice a week - thankfully from my moms homemade recipe 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Kraft and ramen were the go to foods when many of us first ventured out on our own and money was tight. My mother didn't allow either of these, but it was hard to beat 10 for a dollar!

      It's great that your niece is carrying on your mom's recipe! I'm enjoying watching my daughter learn my mother's.

      Delete

Print Friendly and PDF