Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Ice Cream Worth Stunting Your Growth For {Recipe: Coffee Ice Cream With or Without Add-Ins}




In a previous post on July 20, 2016 for Mocha Granola, I tell the story of how my mother would not allow my siblings and me to have coffee or tea when we were growing up. Whenever we wanted to try either one she would say, "No, it will stunt your growth." The one thing she would allow is coffee ice cream; I guess somethings are worth stunting your growth over.

My father-in-law's original recipe
handwritten by my mother-in-law.

Coffee ice cream never did much for me until I tried this one. This recipe comes from my father-in-law, the chemist. This recipe proves once again that chemists can cook (see the 7/19/17 post "Never Tell a Chemist He [or She] Can't Cook). The man certainly knew how to make ice cream!

So far I have only tried his ice cream recipes. He also prided himself on how well he made sourdough pancakes and waffles from his own sourdough starter. One day I hope to try my hand at these.




Coffee Ice Cream

The original recipe made about a gallon of ice cream, I cut the recipe down to make only about a quart. 

2 cups whole milk (Original recipe does not specify, but whole milk is usually used in ice cream.)
3 tablespoons ground coffee*
1 egg
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons flour
1 1/3 cups heavy cream 

Scald the coffee and milk to the boiling point; strain through cheese cloth. Beat egg, sugar, and flour together. Very slowly stir milk mixture into beaten egg mixture, be careful not to do this fast or the egg will cook and become lumpy. Cook the milk/egg mixture in a double boiler, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool. Whip cream until stiff, then fold into the cooled milk/egg mixture until well combined. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions. 

*Use your favorite ground coffee. We use one we found at a local coffee place, Maps, in Kansas City, MO; it is so good in this ice cream! 

Update: We recently tried this recipe with Oreos-so good! Chop up about 10 original flavor Oreos and add to the ice cream during the last minute or two in the ice cream maker. Continue to process the ice cream until done and Oreo is well distributed throughout.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF