Friday, December 22, 2017

Mother and Grandmother Approved {Recipe: Coconut Cookies}




A quick Christmas cookie post before heading out on a holiday adventure. This is a recipe I found that my mother wrote on and underlined they were good and my grandmother wrote, "These are real good." They were right!

Coconut Cookies

Cream:
1 pound margarine (as always, I used butter)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs

Add:
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon coconut flavoring

Sift together:
5 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda

Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until well combined.

Add:
1 3/4 cups coconut-fine or angel flake

Divide into six sticks and freeze. Slice and bake as needed.

Bake at 375°F for 8 to 10 minutes. (I placed them on a parchment lined cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart.)

Can be rolled in colored sugar, nuts or chocolate bits. 

Note: This is fairly true to how my grandmother wrote the recipe with the exception of the coconut measurement (she noted that they needed more coconut, so I adjusted accordingly) and the combining of the flour and butter mixtures. Also, dough can be refrigerated for an hour or so if using the same day. If freezing, the dough thaw a bit before rolling in colored sugar, otherwise the sugar won't stick. Also, its too hard to slice if frozen solid. 

Happy Holidays Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF