Friday, May 6, 2016

Boys Belong in the Kitchen, Too! {Recipe: Bryce's Favorite Waffle Recipe}



This is my 15 year old son's very 1st waffle he has ever made. My son, Bryce, came bursting in my room one Saturday morning wanting me to make him waffles. It had been a long week and I was hoping to sleep in, or at minimum have a relaxing morning. Making waffles was not part of my plan, so I decided it was high time for him to learn to make them himself.

My daughter is always willing to learn in the kitchen and loves to cook. I think it is important for her to know her way around the kitchen, but I know it is just as important for my son as well. So, we are not stopping at waffles. This is just the very beginning of his culinary adventures.

Anyway, I did have to get up that Saturday morning and show my son step-by-step how to make waffles. And, of course, this took longer than if I made them myself. But, in the long run he can now make them himself and now I can sleep in on Saturdays...

Bryce's Favorite Waffle Recipe:

This recipe was found on Pinterest. It is attributed to The Brook's Family that has been making them since 1971, but there is not website attached with the recipe. We made a few minor wording changes to the recipe, but the recipe is essentially the same. It is a very good basic Belgian waffle. 

Mix together:
2 cups Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt

Mix together in a separate bowl:
4 Egg yolks (put egg whites in a separate bowl)
2 tablespoons granulated Sugar

add:
2 cups Milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
4 tablespoons Butter (melted)

Mix dry and wet mixtures together,

In the separate bowl with the 4 Egg whites, beat the egg whites until light and fluffy.

Gently fold egg whites into the main bowl with a spatula. 

Pour batter into heated deep well waffle  iron* (we used an ice cream scoop-one scoop for each section). 

Serve hot with heated maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar (optional). 

I am particularly fond of this recipe because it is very similar to what my mother always made, although they were regular waffles not Belgian.

Enjoy!

*Side note, if I had known better, I would have purchased a round Belgian waffle iron-the batter never goes to the corners on a square waffle iron!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF