Tuesday, May 10, 2016

For Those Hard to Please... {Chicken Enchilada Soup}



Everyone in our family loves this soup, even the most hard to please. It is one of the few meals that everyone is happy with when it is served. There are five of us at dinner time, and there is always someone who is not happy with what is prepared. That has never happened when this is served.

This is a recipe that is really difficult to get wrong. I have used onion powder and or garlic powder when I didn't have fresh of one or both of them. Also, I have used all thigh meat or all breast meat-either is good. I have even made a vegetarian version with no meat and used vegetable broth; it is still good.

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Years ago I looked up a copy-cat recipe for Chili's Enchilada Soup. I have no idea what recipe I used, but it evolved into this. I no longer use a recipe; it is that easy. The measurements don't have to be precise with this. I usually just throw it together, and it always turns out delicious!

1-2 tablespoons of olive oil

1- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken (I like a mixture of thigh and breast meat)
1 cup chopped onion
2-3 cloves of garlic (depending on the size), minced.
4 cups chicken broth
12 ounces of enchilada sauce (my favorite store bought is Trader Joe's, otherwise I use homemade)
1 cup masa (corn flour)
3-4 cups warm water (depending on how thick the soup gets)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
Salt to taste (I start with 1/2 teaspoon, but usually wind up adding about 1-1 1/2 teaspoons)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Toppings:
Pico de gallo or favorite salsa
shredded cheese
tortilla chips, nacho chips or taco chips

Saute chicken in a 5-1/2 quart dutch oven or stockpot until starting to brown. Remove from pan, then set aside. Saute onion until translucent in the same dutch oven, then add garlic. Saute for just a minute or two to prevent over cooking the garlic (garlic can get bitter if over cooked-I usually add the chicken broth just as I start to smell the garlic). Pour the chicken broth over the onion/garlic mixture, then add back in the cooked chicken. Add the enchilada sauce and stir. In a four cup liquid measuring cup, measure the cup of masa. Slowly add about 3 cups of warm water whisking as you do. This should help prevent getting lumps of masa. Add this mixture to the dutch oven. Season with the cumin and salt, then simmer for about 20 minutes. If the soup seems a little thick, add bit more water. Add the shredded cheese, then stir until melted. Ladle into soup bowls, then top with cheese and pico de gallo or salsa. Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 6 generous servings.

Note: update for a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and 2-15 ounce cans of black beans and 1 cup corn for the chicken. 

Pair this with a salad and it's a perfect dinner!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF