Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Back to Basics {Recipe: Our Family's All-Time Favorite Stuffing}


Oven Baked Stuffing
Every year the kids want to contribute something to the Thanksgiving table. When they were little, I used to by the canned crescent rolls and let them have at it. A few years ago they were able to make dishes from scratch. Bryce has claimed the cranberry sauce as his specialty and Lili always makes homemade rolls and dessert. This year Lili wanted to learn to make stuffing. It has become the favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal, next the turkey. 

When I was growing up. my dad was in charge of the turkey and the stuffing. He would get up at 6:00am to get started. He put in all kinds of stuff in his stuffing. I am not sure what all he put in it, but I remember him finely grinding all of the turkey giblets, save the neck which was boiled for broth, to add to it. He also chopped lots of onion and celery finer than I have ever seen anyone chop anything. I seem to recall soda crackers, bread crumbs, applesauce, and walnuts being added too. I just don't remember if it was all those ingredients every year or if every year he did a different combination of these ingredients. I also remember him guessing at the amount of seasoning by just pouring some in his hand and dumping it in until he thought it looked good. In the end, it always tasted good. Although, I have never been brave enough to try and duplicate it. 

Throughout the 90's, I decided to try non-traditional stuffing. A few years I made a wild rice stuffing. One year I tried a Cajun stuffing (we can just forget that one!). After several years of experimenting, I decided that good ole' basic bread stuffing was the way to go. I have been making a basic bread stuffing ever since.

Stuffing cooked in Crock-Pot.
About 3 years ago I did come across a recipe for slow cooker stuffing. I don't remember which recipe I used, but it was good. Although I did learn the hard way that if you don't stir it a few times while cooking in the Crock-Pot, it will burn on the edges. 

This is the recipe Lili and I came up with this year and we all agree that it is the best stuff we have had to date!

Our Family's All-Time Favorite Stuffing

This recipe can be cooked in the oven or Crock-Pot. My family likes this stuffing so much that we have doubled it and cooked 1/2 in the oven and 1/2 in the Crock-Pot. When we don't double it, there is not enough leftover to have with the leftover turkey and other sides. Another meal or two with the Thanksgiving leftovers are a must at our house!


Ingredients:

12-13 cups dried bread cubes*
1 cup butter
2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped celery, celery leaves included
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
2 eggs, beaten

Directions:

1. Place bread cubes into a very large mixing bowl. 
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, then cook, stirring frequently,  until the onion is translucent. 
3. Sprinkle the poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper over the bread crumbs. then spoon the vegetables over the seasoned bread cubes. Give it all a good stir. Pour about 2 cups of chicken broth over the bread cube mixture and stir. If mixture is still dry, add more chicken broth. Keep adding a little chicken broth at a time until the bread cubes are moistened. This may not take all 4 cups of broth. Set aside any remaining broth and add to the stuffing while it is cooking if it starts to look too dry. 
4. Stir in the eggs and mix well. 
5. Stuffing can be put in a buttered 9"x13"baking pan and baked in a 325° F oven for 45 minutes, or until golden brown on top. It can also be cooked in the Crock-Pot. Place stuffing in a buttered 6 qt Crock-Pot and cook on high for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to low and continue to cook for another 4-8 hours, stirring a few times (about every 2 hours). This is important or else the bottom and/or sides can overcook and/or burn. Check the moisture when stirring and add a little more broth if necessary. 

*My favorite bread to use is a dense Italian or French country bread. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF