Monday, December 5, 2016

A Bit of Wisdom from Grandma Jones: Always Keep the Cookie Jar Full {Recipe: Grandma Jones' Sugar Cookies}





My grandmother always kept her cookie jar full for all of us grandchildren when we visited. Most of the time she made molasses cookies, until one summer when we were visiting between my 7th and 8th grade year; that time she made sugar cookies. They were like no other sugar cookie I have ever had. I always liked the other cookies my grandmother made, but I loved these! I can remember struggling to stay away from the cookie jar. I also remember asking her to teach me how to make them that summer so I could make them at home.




These sugar cookies are on the thinner side, crispy on the edges and chewy in the center. I make them with unsalted butter, only because I don't buy shortening. I use so few recipes that call for it, I can never use up even the smallest containers it comes in. It always gets thrown out because it gets rancid before I can use it up. I tried to substitute coconut oil, but it didn't work well. The cookies spread way too thin and were oily. I do have to say, my kids loved them though. They were a bit like florentines.
My goal, when if and when I become a grandmother, is to always have a cookie jar full of cookies. And, of course, these sugar cookies will be added to that cookie jar. I believe every one of my siblings and cousins have fond memories of Grandma Jones' full cookie jar.

Grandma Jones' Sugar Cookies

The recipe from my grandmother just states "Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl." for instructions. It works okay to do this, but I broke it down into steps. I think it combines better and easier. 

Ingredients:

3/4 cup shortening or unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar*
1/4 cup Karo syrup
1 egg
2 cup all purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Extra sugar for rolling the cookies in. 

1. Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Line a couple of baking sheets with Silpat liner or parchment (my grandmother did not use either of these, but I find it is easier clean-up)

2. Cream together shortening or butter with the sugar and Karo syrup in a medium size mixing bowl. Add the egg and mix well. 

3. Sift the flour into the bowl. Add the baking soda and salt into the sifter as well, this will break up any clumps that these may have. Stir until well combined with the wet ingredients. 

4. Pour about 1/4 cup sugar into a small bowl (I just guess a how much, but start with 1/4 cup and add more if needed).  Form the cookie dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in sugar. Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. 

5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown on the edges. I found I had to rotate baking sheets 1/2 way through the baking time to ensure even browning. 

Variations: 1. 1/4 cup honey can be substituted for Karo syrup, or 2. 1/2 cup brown sugar + 1/2 cup white sugar for the 1 cup of sugar can be used for a more toffee flavor. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF