Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Don't Judge a Recipe by the Ingredients Alone {Recipe: Chicken Tarragon}


This is a recipe I came across in my mother's old recipe file. It is probably from the 1960's. I wanted to try it, but I wasn't expecting much. The recipe doesn't have a lot of seasoning, so I thought it would be bland. Of course I was wrong. This dish is subtlety, but nicely, flavored and rich. It makes for an easy, albeit a bit time consuming, elegant dish. 

Chicken Tarragon

6 chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless*
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 cup white wine
5 tablespoons butter, divided
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons heavy cream

Place chicken, onion, carrot, tarragon, and wine in a large saucepan; add enough boiling water to cover. Place lid on saucepan and simmer for 25 minutes, until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, plate, and keep warm. Strain liquid. Return liquid to saucepan and boil gently until liquid is reduced to 2 cups, about an hour. In a large sauté pan, melt 3 tablespoons butter, whisk in flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually add the 2 cups of reduced liquid and continue cooking, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and thickened. Add 2 tablespoons butter and simmer gently 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine egg yolk and cream; whisk into hot sauce. Pour sauce over chicken and serve. 

Yields 6 portions

Note: The original recipe calls for 3 whole chicken breasts to be boned, skinned, and halved; these days most grocery stores do not carry whole chicken breast. I also find that chicken breasts can run very large, I try to find ones on the small side.  Also, as shown in the photo, I prefer to use chicken breast and thighs. I use 3 half breasts and 4 boneless, skinless thighs. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF